Homer Glen Resident Calls for Gun Ban at Village Board Meeting (Homer Glen, IL) — At the village of Homer Glen board meeting held Wednesday, May 25, 2022, one resident called on the board to have “the guts” to pass a complete ban on the sale of firearms within the village.
Mayor Yukich held a moment of silence for the victims of the Uvalde, Texas school shooting which ended the lives of 19 students and 2 teachers. In response to the shooting, one Homer Glen resident called on the board to ban gun sales in the village, stating the following:
We have to stop gun sales in Homer Glen. Too many murders, 2nd amendment was in 19 – 1776, they used long guns. You can buy a gun right down the street, 159th Street. You go in there, wait 24 hours, be 18 years old. … I hope somebody has the guts to put up a referendum, vote on it, let the ACLU sue you. … They wanna buy guns, let them go into Chicago and buy guns from the criminals … We gotta ban guns in Homer Glen, no guns in Illinois be sold. I’ve shot guns before, I think they’re very dangerous, I don’t have a gun at home myself.
When reached for comment, Trustee Pazmino responded:
There is no gun problem in Homer Glen. There are many residents with CCLs and FOIDs that practice 2nd Amendment rights. I think that one of the reasons that Homer Glen is one of the safest communities in Illinois is because of the amount of residents who legally exercise their 2nd Amendment right to protect their families and themselves.
When asked if the board is considering any such action he stated “There is nothing being brought up.”
Pazmino Discusses Soliciting Hours
Under New Business Trustee Pazmino discussed an ordinance passed by the previous administration extending soliciting hours to 9 p.m. Pazmino wants to reverse that ordinance so that no solicitors can be at residents’ doors after dusk, and asked that it be added to the next agenda.
Other Agenda Items
- CONSENT AGENDA (approved unanimously)
- Consider for Approval the Accounts Payable for the Period of May 13, 2022 through May 26, 2022 in the Amount of $706,249.72.
- Consider for Approval the Treasurer’s Report of Cash and Investments for the Period Ending April 30, 2022.
- LEGISLATION AND ACTION ITEMS
- Consider a Motion to establish Ordinance 22-024 in order to amend section 5-3(B) of the Village of Homer glen Code of Ordinances regarding the Order of Business or Agenda for the transaction of business at regular Village Board Meetings conducted within the Village of Homer Glen, Will County, Illinois. (approved unanimously)
- Consider for Approval the Mayor and Village Board’s Appointments to the Village’s Committees for one (1) year terms. (approved unanimously)
- Consider a Motion to Approve the Revised 2022 Adjudication Court Calendar for the Village of Homer Glen. (approved unanimously)
- Consider a Motion to Assign a Class E Liquor License (Temporary License) to Assumption Greek Orthodox Church located at 15625 S. Bell Road, Homer Glen, for the “Greek for a Day” Festival occurring July 30th through July 31st, 2022. Approved, with Trustees Pazmino and Reynders abstaining because they have liquor licenses.
- Consider a Motion to Approve Ordinance 22-025, a request for a Variance to reduce the required side yard building setback from ten (10) feet to seven (7) feet for certain real property located in the R-4 Single Family Residential District at 12239 W. Carroll Drive, Homer Glen, Illinois [Case No. HG-2207-V] (approved unanimously)
- Consider a Motion to Approve Ordinance No. 22-026, a request for (1) a Variance to allow an outdoor recreational area and a shed as an obstruction in the corner side yard and (2) a Variance to reduce the corner side yard building setback to (5) feet for the outdoor recreational area and nine (9) feet for the shed, for certain real property located in the R-5 Single Family Residential District at 13057 W Spring Court, Homer Glen, Illinois. [Case No. HG-2208-V] (approved unanimously)
- Consider a Motion to Approve Ordinance No. 22-027, a request for a Variance to increase the allowable copy area for a manual changeable copy sign from the maximum thirty (30) percent to fifty-five (55) percent of the overall sign copy area, which measures sixteen (16) square feet, for certain real property located in the P-1 Governmental Buildings and Public Schools district at 14320 W 151st Street, Homer Glen, Illinois. [HG-2209-V] (approved unanimously)
- Consider a Motion to Approve Ordinance 22-028, an Ordinance proposing the establishment of a Special Service Area (SSA) for the Villas of Old Oak, providing for a public Hearing on this matter. (approved unanimously)
- Consider a Motion to Approve the contract for professional engineering services for the Fiddyment Creek Sanitary Sewer – Cedar Road Extension with Robinson Engineering, Ltd. in the amount of 12.5% of construction cost not to exceed $180,469.00 plus an amount not to exceed $22,000 for geotechnical study/soil borings as detailed in the Scope of services. (approved unanimously)
Homer Glen Resident Calls for Gun Ban at Village Board Meeting