Homer Glen Residents Concerned about Replacing Open Space with High Density Housing (Homer Glen, IL) — The Village of Homer Glen held its board meeting Wednesday, April 27, 2022 at 7:00 p.m. The meeting had numerous residents in attendance to express disapproval of a Planned Unit Development (PUD) which would eliminate the dedicated open space Welter Farm.
According to a longtime resident, Welter Farm was purchased via referendum by Homer Township before Homer Glen came into existence. This move has upset some residents of the town. Homer Glen’s motto reads “Community and Nature … in Harmony,” which seems to be at odds with the proposed high density housing overtaking dedicated open space.
One resident made the following statement to much applause:
We worked long and hard to get that open space on a referendum, and it worked. We got over 200 acres of open space. … About 30% of this property is Army Corps of Engineers dedicated wetland. … It’s dedicated for open space … that was the whole idea of this. We spent a lot of money, we paid for this land, and to see it go downhill with high density housing in here, it’s embarrassing for all the people who put so many hours and so much time into getting these 200 acres.
Another resident quoted the Homer Township website which mentions the property: “By law the purpose of Open Space is to promote preservation of the natural environment, scenic resources, geological features and historic sites.”
The next resident to speak on the subject of the Welter Farm property stated that the open space bordering his property was a huge selling point and that he thinks it’s terrible they’re going to build anything on that property.
Mayor Yukich responded to their concerns, stating that “We’re gonna do a workshop. Let’s get everyone in here, get their voices heard, find out exactly what is going on, and then go from there. … We’re not gonna drag this on.” He also told residents that if they have any questions, to take his card with his phone number, he answers it whenever it rings.
The group of concerned residents remained outside after the meeting to discuss the issue. One resident stated that there are no other PUDs with high density housing in the village, and that this would be the first.
Amendments to the Agenda
- Trustee Pazmino amended item H1 to strike out the amount $598,943 amend it to $506,556.93.
Other Agenda Items
- CONSENT AGENDA
- Consider for Approval the Accounts Payable for the Period of April 15, 2022 through April 28, 2022 in the Amount of $506,556.93.
- Consider for Approval the Treasurer’s Report of Cash and Investments for the Period Ending March 31, 2022. (Approved, Trustee Rodgers voting no)
- LEGISLATION AND ACTION ITEMS
- Consider for Approval a Proclamation for Arbor Day. (Approved Unanimously)
- Consider a Motion to Appoint Trustee Ruben Pazmino as Mayor Pro Tem. (Approved Unanimously)
- Consider for Approval Ordinance No. 22-016, an Ordinance Adopting the Village of Homer Glen’s Budget for Fiscal Year Beginning May 1, 2022 and Ending April 30, 2023. (Approved Unanimously)
- Consider for Approval Ordinance No. 22-017, an Ordinance Granting a Variance to permit a mix of stone and stucco materials on the first floor of the dwelling, in lieu of the Exterior Construction Standards [§75-67A (Applicability and scope: type of building or structure) of the Code of the Village of Homer Glen], for certain real property located in the R-3 Single Family Residential District at 14412 W. Iz Brook Dr., Homer Glen, Illinois. (Approved Unanimously)
- Parkview Christian Church; Case No. HG-2205-SP
- Consider for Approval Ordinance No. 22-018 to request an Amendment for Minor Changes to a Special Use Permit for a Planned Development, originally granted by Ordinance 06-082, amended by Ordinance 16-019 and 18-014, for certain real property located in the C-2 Local Business District at 14367 W. 159th Street, Homer Glen, Illinois; (Approved Unanimously)
- Consider for Approval Ordinance No. 22-019 a request for approval of a Special use Permit for a Day-Care Center and Preschool for certain real property located in the C-2 Local Business District at 14367 W. 159th Street, Homer Glen, Illinois [Case No. HG-2205-SP]. (Approved Unanimously)
- Proposed Zoning Code Updates.