Tinley Park Seeks Eminent Domain Powers (Tinley Park, IL) — The Village of Tinley Park held its third regular board meeting of 2022 on Monday, Feb. 15. Also held was a special village board meeting for a public hearing involving the use of eminent domain.
The village voted to attempt using eminent domain to acquire properties in the New
Bremen Redevelopment Tax Increment Financing (TIF) District. Eminent domain is when the government uses its power to take property belonging to private citizens for public use. This practice can be controversial because the properties are confiscated without the consent of the homeowners.
Invoking eminent domain is not as simple as the village passing an ordinance, however. The village must work with the Illinois General Assembly to receive quick take authority so the village can acquire the property.
According to village attorney Paul O’Grady, the village has made offers over the course of years for the properties at or above fair-market value, only to be rejected. The properties in question are vacant, with only one having a structure, which is a boarded-up house.
Local businessperson Jim Fuentes stated, “We gotta get people on board that right now are holding us hostage … They’re affecting our future and our livelihoods.”
The properties would be used to complete Harmony Square, a multipurpose public space the village believes is key to its rebranding initiative. Harmony Square would include year-round events including musical performances, ice skating, and exercise classes.
Harmony Park would also include a performance stage, splash pad/interactive water feature, overhead shade structures, and artificial turf for playing/picnicking. In the winter, the turf area would be converted to a skating/hockey rink, along with skate rentals, a warming hut, and fire pits.
More information about Harmony Square is available on the village’s website: https://www.tinleypark.org/government/current_projects/harmony_square/index.php
The following agenda items relating to eminent domain were approved unanimously:
Consider adopting resolution 2022-R-012 requesting quick take authority to acquire 6712 North Street for the downtown redevelopment project within the New Bremen Redevelopment Tax Increment Financing (TIF) District.
Consider adopting resolution 2022-R-013 requesting quick take authority to acquire 6724 North Street for the downtown redevelopment project within the New Bremen Redevelopment Tax Increment Financing (TIF) District.
Consider adopting resolution 2022-R-014 requesting quick take authority to acquire 6706 North Street for the downtown redevelopment project within the New Bremen Redevelopment Tax Increment Financing (TIF) District.
Other Agenda Items
(all approved unanimously)
- Consider appointment of Arlan Schattke to the position of village engineer effective March 3, 2022
- Consider approval of the following consent agenda items:
A. Consider request from Park Lawn to conduct a tag day fundraiser on Friday and Saturday April 8th and 9th and Friday and Saturday, April 15th and 16th, 2022, at certain intersections in the village of Tinley Park.
B. Consider adopting resolution 2022-R-016 approving renewal of South Suburban Mayors & Managers Association (SSMMA) membership.
C. Consider payment of outstanding bills in the amount of $2,446,274.52 as listed on the vendor board approval reports dated February 4 and 11, 2022.
- Consider adopting ordinance 2022-O-016 amending Title XI, Chapter 112 Section 22: Permitted Number of Liquor Licenses
- Consider adopting resolution 2022-R-020 approving an amendment to the Village of Tinley Park tax increment financing redevelopment agreement between the Village of Tinley Park and J-M-W Properties, LLC (7061-7063 159th Street/Resolution No. 2021-R-034)
- Consider adopting ordinance 2022-O-017 approving the five (5) year schedule of water meter and tap-on fees.
- Consider adopting resolution 2022-R-017 approving a contract between the village of Tinley Park and Christopher B. Burke Engineering, LTD. For the westside pressure improvements design and construction engineering.
- Consider adopting resolution 2022-R-018 approving a contract between the village of Tinley Park and Christopher B. Burke Engineering, LTD for the LaGrange Road water main install design and construction engineering.
- Consider adopting resolution 2022-R-019 approving a contract between the village of Tinley Park and Al Warren Oil Company, Inc. for a bulk fuel purchase.
Tinley Park Seeks Eminent Domain Powers