Orland Park Lifeguards Receive Citizen Lifesaving Award (Orland Park, IL) — At the village of Orland Park’s board meeting, held Monday, June 6, 2022, 16 members of the CPAC were awarded for saving the life of a young boy.
Mayor Pekau recounted the following history of the event:
On May 30th at approximately 2:30pm, a lifeguard patrolling the T-pool at the Centennial Park Aquatic Center observed a young boy that appeared to be unconscious (unresponsive) lying on his back in the T-pool.
Trained to recognize the seriousness of what she observed, Hannah reacted instantly and activated the pool’s Emergency Activation Plan by blowing 2 long (2 loud, long whistle blasts). In addition, she immediately entered the water to begin the rescue. Ava, another lifeguard who also recognized the seriousness of the situation, likewise entered the water to assist with the rescue. Together, Hannah and Ava performed rescue breathing with precision and in accordance with StarGuard Elite protocols.
As Hannah and Ava got the child out of the water and they reached the edge of the pool, the child began to regain consciousness. The lifeguard’s training, fast response time and sharp eyes made all the difference. Other assisting pool staff called 911, administered oxygen, cleared the deck for emergency personnel, participated in scene management, crowd control and the evacuation of over 1200 patrons. The Orland Park Police Department was on the scene within minutes to assist.
Upon arrival, Orland Park Fire District personnel found the child to be responsive, alert and communicative.
On Tuesday, May 31st, staff spoke with the child’s mother who shared, that her son was back at school sharing his adventure, and gratefully acknowledged that thanks to the lifeguards of CPAC, she could hug her son again.
It is with great admiration and appreciation that tonight we recognize all the Centennial Park Aquatic Center staff that took the necessary and decisive actions that saved this child.
These staff members include: Hannah, Ava, Noor, Jenna, Jackie, Ally, Dayna, Elisa, Emma, Maddie, Phillip, Taylor, Adam, Amy, Camryn and Brittany.
Last names were not given to respect the privacy of the minor staff members.
Other Agenda Items
(all requiring a vote approved unanimously)
- Approval of the May 16, 2022, Regular Meeting Minutes
- Recreation Advisory Board Chairman – Appointment
- Citizen Lifesaving Award – 2022 CPAC Lifeguard Staff – Presentation
- Accounts Payable
- Consent Agenda
- Payroll for May 13, 2022
- Payroll for May 27, 2022
- Comcast Master Services Agreement Amendment
- Disposal of Village Equipment (Online Auction) – Public Works Department – Ordinance
- Centennial Park West Concert Series Stage, Sound, Lights and Labor
- El Cameno Re’al Storm Water Improvements Engineering – Contract Amendment #1
- FY2022 Budget Amendment #5 – Approval
- An Ordinance Amending Appendices A and B to Ordinance No. 5676 – Fourth Amendment – Ordinance
- Amend Title 7 Chapter 4 – Number of Class B Liquor License – Ordinance
Orland Park Lifeguards Receive Citizen Lifesaving Award