May Events at the Oak Lawn Public Library
May Events at the Oak Lawn Public Library (Oak Lawn, IL) — The Oak Lawn Public Library, located at 9427 S. Raymond Ave., is pleased to announce ongoing and upcoming events that will take place from May 1-15, 2023. The library is especially excited to welcome patrons of all ages to Fan Fest, an all-day celebration of Free Comic Book Day and pop culture on Saturday, May 6.
ADULT & TEEN PROGRAMS
- Mouse and Keyboard on Monday, May 1 from 2-3 p.m. Start your journey with computers by learning how to use a mouse and keyboard in our computer lab!
- Tech Help Hour on Tuesdays, May 2 & 9 from 2-3 p.m. Get help with your computer or smartphone!
- Acid Reflux: Get Me Off My Meds with Advocate Health on Tuesday, May 2 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Gastroenterologist Dr. Imad Elkhatib will speak about acid reflux. Register online at cal.olpl.org to attend in person. This program will also be streamed online via the OLPL YouTube page.
- Friends of the Library Movie Showing: “In the Heights” (2021) on Wednesday, May 3 from 1-4 p.m. A bodega owner hopes, dreams, works toward and sings about a better life in this film adaptation of the musical by Lin-Manual Miranda. PG-13, 142 minutes.
- May the Fourth Party on Thursday, May 4 from 6-8:30 p.m. We’ll have classic Star Wars trivia, a photo booth and show the movie “Solo: A Star Wars Story” (2018, PG-13, 135 minutes) at 6:20 p.m. Come in costume for a gift certificate to Andy’s Frozen Custard. Attendees will receive a special raffle ticket to use at Fan Fest!
- Anime/Manga Club for teens on Thursday, May 4 from 7-8 p.m. Join us in the teen room to watch anime and have snacks!
- OLPL Fan Fest Vol. 7: Guardians of the Library on Saturday, May 6, all day. Join us for the library’s annual Free Comic Book Day celebration. There will be panels, vendors, entertainment, crafts, cosplay competitions and a photo booth. Cork & Bean, 4931 W. 95th St., will host after-hours pop culture trivia at 6 p.m. Visit olpl.org/fanfest for the schedule and more information about this event.
- Alzheimer’s & Dementia Support Group on Monday, May 8 from 6:30-8:30 p.m. An opportunity for family, friends and caregivers to share their experiences in a safe place with others going though similar things. Facilitated by Mary Murphy, RN, BSN, CDP of Hibernian Home Care.
- Who’s Got Game? on Tuesday, May 9 from 10-11 a.m. Can you guess the classic movie? Join us for fun and games at this senior social hour. Please register at cal.olpl.org. Light refreshment will be served. Supplies for this program are partially funded via the AgeOptions Library CARES ARPA grant.
- The Yarnery Club on Tuesday, May 9 from 2-3 p.m. Bring your handicraft project to work on while enjoying an hour of conversation!
- Friends Short Story Discussion Group meets Wednesday, May 10 from 1-3 p.m. to discuss “Mom Was No Picnic” by Marilyn Kochman. Pick up the story at the Adult Services Desk up to one month in advance.
- English Together on Thursday, May 11 from 9:30-11 a.m. Learn English at this free, weekly ESL class!
- Movie Showing: “Top Gun: Maverick” (2022) on Thursday, May 11 from 1-3 p.m. In this sequel, pilot Pete “Maverick” Mitchell continues to push the envelope as a trainer for a specialized mission. PG-13, 131 minutes.
- Computer Basics on Thursday, May 11 from 6-7 p.m. Get a basic introduction to computers!
- Teen Advisory Board on Thursday, May 11 from 7-8 p.m. If you are interested in joining TAB, please email email@example.com.
- Race and Trauma: Supporting Families on Thursday, May 11 from 7-8 p.m. We will discuss resilience, coping strategies and resources for those experiencing racial trauma.
- Oak Lawn Writers’ Group on Saturday, May 13 from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Read your written works in any genre and get feedback from the group.
- Skin Cancer Screening with Advocate Aurora Health on Saturday, May 13 from noon-4:30 p.m. Please visit cal.olpl.org for information on how to register for this event.
- Internet Basics on Monday, May 15 from 2-3 p.m. Learn how to navigate web pages and find things on the World Wide Web.
- Snack & Study for teens on Monday, May 15 from 3-9 p.m. Study for finals with your friends! Extra supplies and snacks will be available.
- The ABCs of High Blood Pressure with Advocate Aurora Health on Monday, May 15 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Cardiologist Dr. Vinh Chau discusses risk factors and the progression of high blood pressure. Register at cal.olpl.org if you plan to attend in person. This program will also be streamed online via the OLPL YouTube page.
- Werewolf on Monday, May 15 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Join Zac and Kate in this card game of deduction and deceit! Players are assigned secret roles on teams of werewolves or villagers, and it’s up the villagers to sniff out the wolves before it’s too late.
We will distribute admission tickets at the Youth Services Desk 30 minutes before the start of each program, unless otherwise specified.
- Family Taste-Off: Healthy “Chips” (All Ages) on Sunday, May 7 from 1-2 p.m. Crunchy, salty, yummy and…healthy? We’ll taste-test several wholesome snack foods and vote for our favorite.
- Messy Art on Thursday, May 11. Ages 2-3 with a caregiver from 9:30-10:15 a.m. and ages 3-5 with a caregiver from 10:30-11:15 a.m. Come for the fun and leave the cleanup to us! Dress for a mess.
- Drop-In Craft: Make a Button (Ages 5 and up) on Monday, May 15 from 4-7 p.m. Use one of our designs or create your own, then stamp out a button that will show your style! No tickets required.
For more information, please visit our online event calendar at cal.olpl.org or call 708-422-4990.
May Events at the Oak Lawn Public Library