April Events at Oak Lawn Public Library (Oak Lawn, IL) — The Oak Lawn Public Library, located at 9427 S. Raymond Ave., is pleased to announce ongoing and upcoming events that will take place from Apr. 1-15, 2023. Please also note the library will be closed on Sunday, Apr. 8 for Easter Sunday.
ADULT & TEEN PROGRAMS
- Genre Fiction Adult Reading Challenge until Apr. 30, all day. Read three books: a romance, mystery and science fiction novel. Log your reading on Beanstack at olpl.beanstack.org to earn rewards and raffle prize tickets as you read.
- Internet Basics on Monday, Apr. 3 from 2-3 p.m. Learn how to navigate web pages and find things on the World Wide Web.
- Monday Night Gaming for teens on Mondays, Apr. 3 & 10 from 5-8 p.m. Check out our board and video games!
- Life Insurance: Use It While You’re Living on Monday, Apr. 3 at 6:30 p.m. Learn how life insurance can be used for retirement, college tuition, a new car, income protection and long-term care.
- April Pop-Up Program: National Poetry Month during April. Compose a poem for someone special or to display at the library using our typewriter station.
- Tech Help Hour on Tuesdays, Apr. 4 & 11 from 2-3 p.m. Get help with your computer or smartphone!
- Friends of the Library Movie Showing: Emma (2020) on Wednesday, Apr. 5 at 1 p.m. In this Jane Austen adaptation, Emma’s matchmaking meddles in the romantic lives of people in her small English town during the 1800s. PG, 124 minutes.
- Movie Night Wednesdays for teens on Wednesdays, Apr. 5 & 12 from 6-8 p.m. Join us for a movie night every week in the Teen Room!
- It’s Okay to Place your Loved One with Oasis Senior Advisors on Wednesday, Apr. 5 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. We will discuss senior living options that meet various needs. Please register at cal.olpl.org.
- English Together on Thursdays, Apr. 6 & 13 from 9:30-11 a.m. Learn English every week at this free ESL class.
- Internet Safety on Thursday, Apr. 6 from 6-7 p.m. Learn how to stay safe on the web!
- Anime/Manga Club for teens on Thursday, Apr. 6 from 7-8 p.m. If you like manga or anime, join our club! Snacks will be served.
- Oak Lawn Writers Group on Saturday, Apr. 8 from 10 a.m.-noon. Read your written works in any genre and get feedback from the group.
- Saturday Afternoon Games on Saturday, Apr. 8 from noon-4 p.m. Play tabletop games with the Moraine Valley Gamers.
- Practice SAT Testing on Saturday, Apr. 8 from 1-4 p.m. Please register at cal.olpl.org.
- Excel for Budgets on Monday, Apr. 10 from 6-7 p.m. Learn how to make a basic budget and keep track of your monthly spending using Microsoft Excel.
- Alzheimer’s & Dementia Support Group on Monday, Apr. 10 from 6:30-8 p.m. An opportunity for family members, friends and caregivers to share their experiences in a safe environment.
- K-Pop Dance Class on Monday, Apr. 10 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Adults and teens can learn K-pop dance from instructor Mikayla Wolford. K-pop is a vigorous activity—attendees participate at their own risk.
- Who’s Got Game on Tuesday, Apr. 11 from 10-11 a.m. Seniors are invited to play 1970s trivia! Please register at cal.olpl.org.
- The Yarnery Club on Tuesday, Apr. 11 from 2-3 p.m. Bring your handicraft project to work on while enjoying an hour of conversation!
- Friends Short Story Discussion Group meets on Wednesday, Apr. 12 from 1-3 p.m. to discuss “The Real Lord of the Flies” by Rutger Bregman.
- Drop Everything and Read Night! on Wednesday, Apr. 12 from 6-8 p.m. Enjoy puzzles, games, a photo booth and get a sweet treat for showing us what you’re reading!
- Connections Book Club meets Wednesday, Apr. 12 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. to discuss “Get Good with Money” by Tiffany Aliche.
- Teen Advisory Board for teens on Thursday, Apr. 13 from 7-8 p.m. To join, please email teen librarian Hailey Everett at email@example.com.
- We “CARE” About Money on Saturday, Apr. 15 from 1-4 p.m. Financial experts from Credit Abuse Resistance Education will discuss Credit Scores and Reports at 1 p.m., Identity Theft at 2 p.m. and Student Loans at 3 p.m.
We will distribute admission tickets at the Youth Services Desk 30 minutes before the start of each program, unless otherwise specified.
- Youth Storytimes: Stories, songs and movement support literacy development and learning in young children. We’ll host Lapsit (ages 6-24 months with a caregiver), Toddler (ages 2-3 with a caregiver) and Preschool (ages 3-5) storytimes every week throughout the spring. Visit our calendar at cal.olpl.org for the exact dates and times for each storytime.
- It’s Magic! (All Ages) from Sunday, Mar. 26 to Saturday, Apr. 1, all day. Enjoy a week filled with crafts and magical activities in the Youth Services Department. No tickets necessary.
- Lightyear Interactive Movie Kit (Ages 4+) available starting Monday, Apr. 3, all day. Pick up a kit from Youth Services. Kits include props, snacks, and other fun-family friendly activities. One kit per family, while supplies last.
- Craft & Chill (Ages 11-14) on Wednesday, Apr. 5 from 4:30-5:30 p.m. Drop by the library to do a craft or just hang out!
- Messy Art (Ages 2-3 with a caregiver) on Thursday, Apr. 6 from 9:30-10:15 a.m. Dress for a mess and leave the cleanup to us!
- Kid Inventors on Friday, Apr. 7. (Ages 5-7) from 10-11 a.m. (Ages 8-10) from 2-3 p.m. Participants will read about inventors and then use Little Bits circuitry kits to make inventions of their own.
- Spring StoryWalk (All Ages) on Monday, Apr. 10 from 10-11 a.m. at Lakeshore Park, 9610 E. Shore Drive, we’ll read “Saturday” by Oge Mora and enjoy activities provided by the Oak Lawn Park District. Please register at cal.olpl.org.
- Parachute Play (Ages 1-3 with a caregiver) on Thursday, Apr. 13 from 9:30-10 a.m. Join us for toddler music and movement time!
- Day of the Crayons (Ages 3-5) on Friday, Apr. 14 from 10-10:30 a.m. This colorful storytime features a rainbow of stories about crayons and art, and includes time for creative play.
- Money Masters: Financial Literacy for Kids (Ages 5-10) on Saturday, Apr. 15 from 11 a.m.-noon. The Oak Lawn Bank and Trust will teach kids all about money: how we use it and how we save it!
For more information, please visit our online event calendar at cal.olpl.org or call 708-422-4990.
April Events at Oak Lawn Public Library